1.2
Coverage Area
Style and Design

Ever since I moved to a rural area, I have been experiencing daily disruptions of internet service.Come to find out, the entire community is having the same problem.

Generally, the internet slows down to about 2 Mbps after 4 PM and intermittently on weekends. As I have done research (when the internet is actually working at a satisfactory speed), I've found that most rural communities experience similar issues from CenturyLink. I have spent over 14 hours talking to their customer "service" and technical "support" departments to no avail. There was one evening that I spent 6 hours on the phone with them straight.

Customer "service" usually tries to sell me a TV bundle before even acknowledging the fact that I'm upset with their internet service. To me, it seems awfully rude, unprofessional, and not to mention completely inefficient to try to sell a customer a new service when they are already unhappy with their current service. When I finally become assertive with them and point out how idiotic this is, they apologize and transfer me to technical "support." Technical "support" generally consists of employees who are not native to the English language. This means that making any progress with the company takes a lot longer because I have to explain and re-explain the issues to them so that they will comprehend.

This is very BAD NEWS for someone like me who doesn't have an "unlimited" cell phone plan. The typical experience with this department means spending hours listening to these people tell you that CenturyLink is perfectly flawless and that all of the problems are caused by your modem. Not only is this unrealistic, arrogant, and very poor problem-solving, but the assumption that the problem is your modem when you just bought your modem directly from CenturyLink is completely ironic and self-defeating. After spending countless hours reconfiguring my CenturyLink modem, the internet was still incredulously slow.

Technical "support" told me that they would send out a technician to look at the problem, but since they were in disbelief that it was their fault, they were going to charge me $80 for the house call. I told them that that was not ethical and, tired of the 6-hour phone call, I finally hung up on them. After several attempts to contact technical "support" for help, I filed a complaint with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). FCC policy states that the "carrier" should respond within 30 days by postal mail and provide the FCC with a copy of the response.

I waited for 29 days and finally got a response from a CenturyLink analyst in Denver. This response was not only addressed to the FCC instead of me, but it was also via email instead of postal mail, AND at the last minute. It was quite apparent that the analyst did not read my complaint in its entirety. She essentially gave me a typical, fake customer "service" response that most large corporations would provide to their customers.

This entails beating around the bush and not directly addressing the customers concerns, not admitting any fault, and not being sincere about any apology that is offered. The analyst stated that their records show that my DSL line is stable and fully functioning, which is exactly the run-around that I got from technical "support." However, upon multiple inquiries to find out how they even take these records and how they know that they are accurate, I still have no clear answer. The analyst also admitted that the lines in my area are "at capacity," offering no sincere apology or any hint of remorse on the matter. She stated that the lines would be updated by next month.

When I asked for compensation for several months of disrupted service that I paid full price for, I was offered a mere one-month credit, which I consider to be as good as a Band-Aid for a bullet wound. I then submitted a rebuttal to the FCC. My rebuttal mostly consisted of an additional request for their method of recording statistical data. In other words, I wanted to know how and why they think my line is stable.

The response to the rebuttal came several days later from the same CenturyLink analyst. Again, it was quite apparent that my message wasn't read in its entirety; she seemed to have just skimmed over it to provide a quick, beat-around-the-bush response. She still did not provide their method for taking records. Furthermore, she said that my rebuttal contained no new information and didn't require a new response.

My next rebuttal will be more assertive as it seems that this person has difficulty with reading comprehension. In conclusion, CenturyLink should simply be boycotted. I am personally planning to switch to a cellular hotspot (even though it costs more). CenturyLink is much too large of a company to provide sincere customer service.

None of the representatives I have spoken with have ever visited my town, nor do they realize how unethical their practices are.

They seem complacent in the way they do business and they are apathetic when it comes to customer service as long as they are making money.They have ethical blindness, which is a common ailment amongst large corporations.

Review about: Centurylink Internet Service.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

I didn't like: Awful customer service, Unreliable speeds, Overpriced, Not getting what i pay for, Failure to follow through, Deceptive advertising, Customer service doesnt know what they are doing, Lack of sincerity.

Had an Experience with Centurylink?

Comments