16K views

I've been with the same internet provider for about 5 years. They started as Sprint, became Sprint/Embarq, then I think another buyout, then finally Centurylink. The problem has been around since the very beginning.

My internet constantly drops out during random use. Load a page, it might disconnect. join a server when playing a game, might disconnect. Try to log into an email, paypal, forum, etc, might disconnect. It's never a gaurentee, but over the years I've been able to find things that will give me a 70-90% chance of disconnecting. Every time it happens the entire modem shuts off then restarts.

The biggest complaint is I've attempted off and on to fix this problem from day 1. It's always the same. they run me through resetting the router. They send a line tech out who says everythings fine. They offer to replace the modem (After about 10 I've started insisting thats not the problem.) Eventually I get fed up and just deal with it, but in the past month or two its gotten completely out of hand.

No one ever has anything to say besides the routine "reconnect steps. replace modem. test line. nope it all works" no. It doesn't all work. I'm a computer technician and been one since before I had this internet service. I know for a fact it has nothing to do with my router forward, its something from the modem back, but I can't ever seem to get past having a line tech check the lines and say its all good.

So fed up. Here's a glimpse of my last 5 hours of experience (I'm making a list to work with, planning to hound them until this is resolved and some compensation sure would be great at this point.):

"*NOTE* Youtube didnt usually disconnect me until June 18th

June 18th, 10:43pm - www.youtube.com - instantly disconnected after doing a search for "Left for dead trailor"

June 18th, 10:47pm - www.youtube.com - disconnected after searching "left 4 dead intro" and hit enter

June 19th, 3:03am - www.facebook.com - Disconnected doing a search in the top searchbar

June 19th, 3:44am - Unknown (Was playing a game), most likely something the living room computer was doing

June 19th, 3:49am - gmail.com - tried to view my inbox (window was already open), not sure if that's what disconnected

June 19th, 3:52am - centurylink.pissedconsumer.com - was reading about disconnect issues with centurylink (ohh the irony), clicked a link on the page, disconnected.

June 19th, 3:54am - centurylink.pissedconsumer.com - Same as above. Can't help but laugh at this now."

Had an Experience with Centurylink?

Comments

Pissed my century link drops all the time. I'm so sick of these internet company and they don't care. I'm really thinking of going to another internet provider.

I have had the same problem and in addition my signal is week .Centurylink said I would have to pay to get a new one.

I am resetting 2 or 3 times daily. Finally called centurylink and asked if I could just put a new Linksys or Netgear box in. Was told yes I could just plug the line into a new unit and it would be ok.

I am on my way to buy probably the Netgear and will deal with Centurylink as little as possible.We live in an area that Centurylink is our only internet provider so we are stuck with them.

Me and my father are *** as well, but how to fix it?

South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States #1306620

i ordered thier service.5 days later, cancelled it.

keep disconnecting over and over again.they cannot fix the problem either.

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States #1260902

I have the same issues over wifi.Devices can be placed literally next to the modem and the issue persists.

The issue isn't line-of-sight or interference from other devices. I have singled the issue to throttling. My wireless devices only drop when I am streaming content. The wired devices continue to remain connected to the internet.

CenturyLink is purposefully throttle wireless connections. I am beyond fed up with CenturyLink and share in your frustration.

I know there are others than have been collecting evidence of this nefarious practice and are planning to bring a lawsuit against CenturyLink.I plan to join in on that lawsuit as soon as it is filed.

to Z3R0K3W1 Humble, Texas, United States #1275939

I would love to be notified of a lawsuit!I am using so much data with cellular carrier because I can't count on Centurylink!

I literally have to unplug router EVERYDAY... This started about 2 weeks ago after there was a major Centurylink outage all over.

Of course I have ALWAYS had issues since speed is only about 4 MB.

And as other person stated, through send out a line tech and "everything is fine." No the heck it isn't!

Beyond pissed and fed up!

Fort Myers, Florida, United States #1248085

Wifi is so overrated. I hate it

Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States #1246320

This happens to be often too

Phoenix, Arizona, United States #1238033

Wow , I have been dealing with that exact same issue for a few years now.I mean almost exactly what you are saying.

Several techs have come out say all is good , replaced modem, all that *** and still to this day,actually today I have had to reset my modem/router 15 times.The thing that really sucks is were I live they are my only option for a provider.

Sioux Falls, South Dakota, United States #1198302

Centurylink come on, I get a new router every month from you guys because you keep telling me that's the problem. It's not, every single time I hit play on anything on Netflix I immediately lose connection.