Winter Park, Florida
1.4K views 17 comments

Just sniffing around the internet (when it works) and i find that it appears that I am in a long line of unhappy centurylink customers.I am paying for their so called 8mbps speed and currently running at 0.63mbps!!!

Related: Centurylink - Screwed us out of upgrading!

Nice. I am so sick of calling and getting the same incompetent idiots on the phone that say there is no problem, then there is a problem. I basically get a different story every time I call. My neighbor can call right after me and get a completely different story.

This company is simply put a bunch of liars,cheats, and crooks!!! My only question is when is their tax payer backed bailout coming? This way they can be on the exact same level as the rest of the corporations that run themselves into the ground, but are allowed to continue. Is centurylink "to big to fail?" I for one hope not.

Believe me I would not be on this rant if I had any other options for high speed internet.I like many thousands of others are held hostage to this company.

Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / Not specified
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Centurylink?

Comments

6 years later and the beat goes on. Don't you just love monopolistic capitalism.

cyberghost

lol this is what happens when you get service from small crappy unpopular unused ISPs the service is trash and unreliable

WSM

This company's method of doing business is not only frustrating, it's repulsive.

Step 1: Set up service with century link

Step 2: Encounter an outage

Step 3: Find CenturyLink is unaware and unwilling to accept responsibility.

Step 4: Find CenturyLink is happy to speak to you for hours buffering you from ever getting anywhere

Step 5: "Retention" or the department you'll be directed to in order to cancel service is unreachable and no one else is authorized to cancel your service.

Thomas

Wow, it looks like I'm not the only one who's fallen victim to this fraud of a company. I was lied to by customer service the very first day I signed up.

I was quoted a price of $65 for phone and internet service which INCLUDED all taxes and fees. And since start up fees were going to be costly, they were going to give me a $50 credit on my first bill to offset the cost. Well, not only did I not get that credit, the amount increased from $65 to almost $80. Since they were the only providers in the area, I figured I would just bend over and take it.

Fast forward 2 years. We recently moved and of course, only yours truly provide services out here so we called to have our services transferred to the new place. Never were we told this would cost anything. We also asked if there was a faster speed available and it turned out that there was. 10 mbps over the 1.5 mbps we had previously. And only $10 more a month. Great. "We'll see if it stays that way on the bill", I said.

No such luck. Not only was I charged a transfer fee, my bill went from $80 to $130. So that "$10" increase turned into $50. So I'm done with this company. I will look into a cheaper phone service and will go the dial up route for internet if I have to. I am filing a complain with the state attorney's office. Hopefully something can be done about this pitiful excuse of a company.

Ready to burn em down
to Thomas Saluda, South Carolina, United States #1038265

are you by any chance in South Carolina. Have same complaint.

Ray

Yes we have had the same issues for over 3yrs, even if we up our speed it drops to 1.0 75% of the time, they are our only option where we live in Grand Marais MN, please tell the world about these scam artists, they are ruining our entire country by ripping millions of people off!!!

Ray

FJ Lozen

I live in Pagosa Springs, CO and was sold "extended", meaning marginal" service by Centurylink.I wasn't informed that I was getting marginal service, just hi-speed internet.

From the beginning there were problems and I've spent two months going round with the tech support staff trying to correct regular slow downs and drop-outs. What finally came to light is there has been a "bandwidth exhaust" going on for months (meaning CL has more subscribers than their bandwidth can handle), yet they continue to sign up new customers adding to the problem. More than one tech has declared outright that they never should have signed up extended service in this area.

As this is a tourist area, since Easter the problem has gotten worse.

At this time it is possible to obtain hi-speed service for only an hour or two a day... and they just keep signing up more people.

Luckily it turns out that there is an alternative, wireless internet service that will work for me.

When hooked up it is my intention to return my modem with a demand for a full refund from Centurylink.If I'm refused, it's my intention to file suit against the corporation for fraud as they have never been able to provide the service they sold me.

sick of CL

Try reporting them to the state attorney general!They were overcharging me for 7 months, when I finally figured it out, they claimed there was nothing they could do, and of course they had a record of what I allegedly agreed to, but what I was told and what was written down were two separate things.

They told me there was nothing they could do, that was my price, etc. So, I reported them to the state atty. gen, and what do you know, once the government gets on them, they can suddenly fix things! Well, only 2 months later, and I'm having serious issues with them AGAIN!

Another report has been submitted, along with asking them to do something about the WHOLE COMPANY, not just individual complaints.There is also a facebook page for people wanting a class-action suit against them!

to sick of CL Peoria, Arizona, United States #1236347

if you are still interested in suing century link, let us know- thx