3.2K views

Just got off the phone with CenturyLink after receiving a collection notion for a modem they say they didn't receive. The modem was returned them on 5/23/12 or 5/24/12 with their pre-printed shipping label.

I got a bill from them on July 19, 2012 saying I still owed them $99.99 for the modem. I called them that day and was told "don't pay; wait one more billing cycle" so when I never got another bill, I assumed they had finally tracked down the modem.

But today I get the notice that I have been turned over to a collection agency The customer service at UPS was amazing but since it has been so long since I shipped it, they don't have a way of tracking it down (no, I didn't get the tracking number from the package-lesson learned.) Looks like I will be paying for a $100 modem but I will make sure everyone on the internet knows about CenturyLink and their customer service. My entire mission today will be to let everyone know about CenturyLink

Product or Service Mentioned: Centurylink Internet Service.

Comments

Same thing happened to me. I signed up for Twitter just to post a comment to centurylink.

Posted my bad experience to their help center on twitter and they asked me to DM them.

I messaged them and about a week later said the magically found my modem in the warehouse and credited my account for three months. Hope this helps someone.

to Mike #1579378

Thanks to you, my modem magically appeared today! I had an almost immediate response once I started Tweeting @centurylinkhelp and all of a sudden, my modem magically appeared and a credit was issued.

I spent 4 hours on the phone earlier today to no avail...no modem, no tracking number, no nada! Cheers!

I had service with them two different times. Different account numbers and years apart and they did this to me BOTH times!!

The first time I found out was 2 years after I closed my account with them when I was trying to set up service with them again. They wouldn't let me sign up until I took care of my bill. If I hadn't called them I would have never known it was sent to collections. I argued with the manager and they eventually took care of it and then set up new service.

A year later I canceled my service again and sent the modem back. 6 months later I get a phone call from century link collections dept asking how I would like to pay today. I asked what the bill was for since I'm not a customer anymore and they said for unreturned equipment. Seriously??

Again??!! I argued with them for an hour and refused to back down. I made the representative look in their notes a little deeper and they found that the receiving dept did in fact receive it. They didn't even apologize and tried to change the subject fast and wanted to just say its been taken care of and end the call and I asked them why all of the sudden it was resolved.

They then admitted they didn't look far enough back. Sounds like they are notorious for lack of communication between departments. Get your *** together century link.

I will never be a century link customer again. Not worth the risk!!!

Saint George, Utah, United States #1335508

This same thing happened to me. I sent the modem back about a month or two ago and just got the letter I owe them money.

For modem not received. I have learned my lesson I will make sure I get a receipt next time however that does not excuse CenturyLink or possibly UPS for the loss of the modem

Las Vegas, Nevada, United States #1326961

WORST SERVICE EVER!!!! CENTURY LINK STATED THEY NEVER REC'D MY MODEM.

I TALKED TO SOMEONE IN JANUARY 2017 A REP FROM CENTURY LINK SHE TOLD ME THEY DIDN'T NEED THE MODEM BACK BECAUSE IT WAS OLD. I STILL KEPT IT JUST IN CASE SOME BS HAPPENED AND SURE ENOUGH THEY SENT ME A BILL. I TOLD THEM WHAT HAPPENED AND THAT I STILL HAD IT AND THAT THEY NEED TO SEND ME A SHIPPING LABEL, SO I SENT IT BACK CALLED A WEEK LATER TO CONFIRM THAT THEY REC'D IT AND THEY DID. HERE WE ARE 5 MONTH LATER AND I GET A CALL FROM A COLLECTIONS COMPANY THAT CENTURY LINK HAS PUT ME ON COLLECTIONS FOR NON RETURNED EQUIPMENT.

WTF!!!! I JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH ANOTHER REP AND TOLD HER SHE NEEDS TO LISTEN TO THEIR RECORDED CALLS.

IM NOT PAYING FOR A MODEM I DONT HAVE.... AND THAT I HAVE SENT 5 MONTHS AGO....I WILL FIGHT THIS AND TAKE IT TO THEIR CORPORATE...

I cancelled CenturyLink service in December its April and I have yet to receive the shipping label. I've called 10 times now and the representatives have shipped the label out 5 times and I'm not receiving them.

to Nickole18 #1346451

I wouldn't worry about it. I had the same thing happen to me.

Never got a label twice and called about it. Rep told me she couldn't find in the file that I had a modem, bought or leased, so just to keep the modem. No record of it.

On another account I had for my mother, I cancelled in April and she got the shipping box and label for the equipment. She lives in another state than me.

I went for a visit, put equipment in box, and slapped label on it so it was ready to go for her to take it to Centurylink store or UPS store. Well, she gave it to my brother, who is a retired UPS driver, and he in turn gave it to another UPS driver, probably one that was making a delivery at his house one day. Come to find out, I am still being billed and found out it's for the equipment. Centurylink claims they did not receive the equipment.

They insist on the UPS tracking number, but they should have scanned that tracking number into my file, so they would have it if anything like this happened. But, no, CL does not do that. It's the customer's responsibility. Too bad.

I'm not paying one more cent to them.

Account is closed, equipment is gone. End of story...

Salt Lake City, Utah, United States #1240574

same thing just happened to me. I tried walking the modem in bf sending it .

the company said I had to return it by mail .

well now I know why, you gain more $$$$$ by claiming you dont receive it .

pissed off mom off 7. thanks for stealing from my food budget

Foley, Alabama, United States #1223339

I am having the same issue. If you look at utube this is happening to many people.

Phoenix, Arizona, United States #1209363

Yup, I have this same issue except I owe them $108.04 now for something I returned. It's all ***, DO NOT DO SERVICE WITH CENTURYLINK LESSON LEARNED!!!

Salt Lake City, Utah, United States #1204375

i already had a modem but they sent one anyway. i sent it back without opening it and now i have been charged for two months of modem rental. if they dont take it off the bill i will be contacting my credit card company and i do have the ups return information

You may be lucky that yours was only $100 - mine if over $300 for TV equipment - that yes, I returned. Hours on phone, emails, tears, and all they say is we got it but not all or we did not get it.

Yup. Terrible customer service - same thing happened to me.

I was passed around to different "departments" again and again without anyone being able to give me any information - they even hung up on my customer service call when I was not even being rude.

They just expect me to pay, no questions asked, all because I didn't get the tracking number when I dropped off the package. This company just wants to prey on unsuspecting victims who don't realize they are dealing with a monster.

to Anonymous #1346452

I had this BS happen with me, too, recently. Not paying them another cent.

Too f'ing bad. I'm done with them.

CL needs to get better business practices and better customer service practices. They could easily scan in the label that they send to the customer and have a record of it. But, no, they can't do that, lazy ***!!!

They make it the customer's responsibility.

I was told by the last customer rep I should have got a receipt. My brother, a retired UPS driver, gave the equipment to another UPS driver.

UPS drivers do not give receipts for stuff like this. And the store won't either unless you ask for one.

Exact same thing is happening to me, getting the run around. I should have snapped a picture of the shipping label before sending it off.

Like others I figured since it was their own shipping label they could just look it up in their system if any troubles occurred. Nope! Terrible customer service. After spending $10+/month to rent it over 2 years and now a $107 charge for an outdated modem I returned...

I am shaking my head at how much CenturyLink has gotten out of me! I feel swindled.

This is exactly what I am dealing with now. returned modem via THEIR box and preprinted label and 2 months later they have can not find the modem.

Stupidly I did not get tracking number. Has anybody successfully fought them back and won?

Denver, Colorado, United States #1029755

Same happen to me. its a scam!!!!

Luckily my wife kept the UPS receipt 8 months after the fact. They seemed pissed that I had proof. Will cancel in 3 month after my commitment and go with xfinity.

After 23 years of military service and having been stationed in 8 different states, Germany and Korea. Century link is the worst internet service I've encountered.

Mesa, Arizona, United States #937964

I am filing a complaint with the BBB. There are multiple forums across the internet that proves that "never receiving the leased modem that was returned via their own shipping label" is Centurylink's common practice, their culture.

We enjoyed their services for 4+ years with the same modem and were ontime with our bills always. We moved out of state and out of their service area.

So we had to cancel their services.

I am contacting local media on this issue as well.

David

Portland, Oregon, United States #795077

...The U.S must have a horde of brain dead adults, as who in their right mind either doesn't COPY the return label or at least WRITE DOWN the Tracking number for an item they send off threw a shipping company? If you don't have any proof your darn out of luck and its your word over theirs and YOU PAY THE PRICE{Again}.

Just like your tax recipes ALWAYS keep a copy of any tracking label.

As I am dumping CenturyLink {And keeping DirectTV}I wont have this problem as I'll show the copy ofmy return label.

to People Are ***S #1007274

I received a collection letter in the mail, i didn't have a tracking number, but when I told them I had the phone call recorded the modem magically appeared. Seems to me these people are victims of a continuous cycle from CenturyLink.