Avoid Centurylink at all costs

Sadly, we are in an area (rural NW Missouri) that has zero options or alternatives to Internet and phone service.Our service constantly delivers slower speeds than what we have purchased.

When I say constantly, I mean constantly in the literal sense. We have never received the speeds for which we are charged. Additionally, service is interrupted every single day... and the majority of the time, it is several times a day (up to 20 to 30 times a day in extreme cases.) Several times a month (2 to 3 on the average) our service is completely inaccessible for hours to days.

We actually tracked it one month, and we had collective use of service for only 22 days out of 31, and this was a fairly good month. Ironically, they have never once failed to charge us with a complete billing cycle of service. Since they are the only provider available, they have zero incentive to fix the failing infrastructure. We were actually told this by a local representative.

To paraphrase her, she said "the infrastructure they use in this area was purchased by Centurytel. It's grossly outdated and completely crumbling. To replace, upgrade and repair it would be too costly, and since we're the only provider, they have no incentive to do so." So, when the next outage happened, and we again called to report the outage, I brought this up to the representative, who in turn.. reported what the local employee had told us.

The next time we spoke with that employee.. she informed us that she had been reprimanded and threatened that if she ever informs customers of why our service is nearly unusable, she will be immediately fired. As anyone who uses Centurylink already knows, a simple Google search will show you how widespread, egregious and predatory the Centurylink business model is to consumers. Avoid at all costs.

The screenshot is a basic speed test conducted simultaneously as I was being told that our speeds are fully functioning, and the problem must be user error.

Mind you, all of my devices are top of the line, I'm an IT professional with extensive knowledge on hardware, software, server access, and so on. My point is not to say that I know better than they do, but to highlight that I'm not just an angry consumer, using a 10 year old machine with no knowledge of potential issues that could be disrupting my service.

Which is why it is very insulting when a trouble shooting representative asks me "well have you paid your bill?Maybe that's why you don't have service." or "Have you tried turning your computer off then back on?"

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

More Review Details

Coverage Area

Reason of review:
All of the above
Preferred solution:
Hope and pray for an alternative to Centurytel becomes available.
Product or service
Centurylink Internet
Review category
review #725194 by

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Centurylink? Submit review ›
Helpful? 0 Yes 0 0 No 0
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Post a comment to start a discussion.

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact PissedConsumer.com

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Centurylink. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

You were reading a complaint about Centurylink.
Filing a new complaint about