Sadly, we are in an area (rural NW Missouri) that has zero options or alternatives to Internet and phone service.Our service constantly delivers slower speeds than what we have purchased.
When I say constantly, I mean constantly in the literal sense. We have never received the speeds for which we are charged. Additionally, service is interrupted every single day... and the majority of the time, it is several times a day (up to 20 to 30 times a day in extreme cases.) Several times a month (2 to 3 on the average) our service is completely inaccessible for hours to days.
We actually tracked it one month, and we had collective use of service for only 22 days out of 31, and this was a fairly good month. Ironically, they have never once failed to charge us with a complete billing cycle of service. Since they are the only provider available, they have zero incentive to fix the failing infrastructure. We were actually told this by a local representative.
To paraphrase her, she said "the infrastructure they use in this area was purchased by Centurytel. It's grossly outdated and completely crumbling. To replace, upgrade and repair it would be too costly, and since we're the only provider, they have no incentive to do so." So, when the next outage happened, and we again called to report the outage, I brought this up to the representative, who in turn.. reported what the local employee had told us.
The next time we spoke with that employee.. she informed us that she had been reprimanded and threatened that if she ever informs customers of why our service is nearly unusable, she will be immediately fired. As anyone who uses Centurylink already knows, a simple Google search will show you how widespread, egregious and predatory the Centurylink business model is to consumers. Avoid at all costs.
The screenshot is a basic speed test conducted simultaneously as I was being told that our speeds are fully functioning, and the problem must be user error.
Mind you, all of my devices are top of the line, I'm an IT professional with extensive knowledge on hardware, software, server access, and so on. My point is not to say that I know better than they do, but to highlight that I'm not just an angry consumer, using a 10 year old machine with no knowledge of potential issues that could be disrupting my service.
Which is why it is very insulting when a trouble shooting representative asks me "well have you paid your bill?Maybe that's why you don't have service." or "Have you tried turning your computer off then back on?"
More Review Details
|Diversity of Products or Services|
|Product or Service Quality|
|Exchange, Refund and Cancellation Policy|
- Reason of review:
- All of the above
- Preferred solution:
- Hope and pray for an alternative to Centurytel becomes available.
- Product or service
- Centurylink Internet
- Review category
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "Do yourself a favor and don't have anything to do with these scammers - Jani Ghaffor AKA Jani GMoney AKA Jani G/Chuck Sterling/Digital River Inc/SWREG/CardQuery/PinYourIncome/Pin Cyclone.In researching ways to profit..."
- "4 years ago we started with Century Link in Las Vegas. Loved it. Had Prism TV. Loved it as well. Moved to Florida and immediately called Century Link. Found out..."
- "I had ordered iPhone replacement parts from Quality Repair Parts in 3403 Oakland Park, FL on May 26th 2015. After reviewing the company website I was lead to believe that..."
- "I purchased two of the toilet bowl lights and installed it but the light does not turn off. It is on constantly therefore it will wear out the batteries much..."
- "Lustine has failed to disclose to their female customers that they hired a violent registered sex offender as a car salesman. I reconzied Philip Roberts due to a mugshot and..."
- "Chrysler Capital Auto Leasing refuses to terminate lease dismisses or acknowledge that they failed in Specific Performance on their contract by negating malfunctioning Jeep vehicle problems........ FCA Recall S55/NHSTA 16V-529..."
- "I was extremely disappointed with the whole experience. First of all I wanted the flowers delivered on the 11th before 1pm and they were delivered on the 10th. Second, flowers..."
- "Sent flowers for my life long friend's fathers funeral and I was totally embarrassed by what was sent. The flowers received looked like something I would send to my Mom..."
- "I ORDERED A SIDE TABLE ONLINE FROM TARGET.COM. WHEN IT ARRIVED, THERE WAS A STRONG CHEMICAL SMELL I THOUGH WAS FROM THE VARNISH AND THAT IT WOULS DISSIPATE. ..."