Sadly, we are in an area (rural NW Missouri) that has zero options or alternatives to Internet and phone service.Our service constantly delivers slower speeds than what we have purchased.
When I say constantly, I mean constantly in the literal sense. We have never received the speeds for which we are charged. Additionally, service is interrupted every single day... and the majority of the time, it is several times a day (up to 20 to 30 times a day in extreme cases.) Several times a month (2 to 3 on the average) our service is completely inaccessible for hours to days.
We actually tracked it one month, and we had collective use of service for only 22 days out of 31, and this was a fairly good month. Ironically, they have never once failed to charge us with a complete billing cycle of service. Since they are the only provider available, they have zero incentive to fix the failing infrastructure. We were actually told this by a local representative.
To paraphrase her, she said "the infrastructure they use in this area was purchased by Centurytel. It's grossly outdated and completely crumbling. To replace, upgrade and repair it would be too costly, and since we're the only provider, they have no incentive to do so." So, when the next outage happened, and we again called to report the outage, I brought this up to the representative, who in turn.. reported what the local employee had told us.
The next time we spoke with that employee.. she informed us that she had been reprimanded and threatened that if she ever informs customers of why our service is nearly unusable, she will be immediately fired. As anyone who uses Centurylink already knows, a simple Google search will show you how widespread, egregious and predatory the Centurylink business model is to consumers. Avoid at all costs.
The screenshot is a basic speed test conducted simultaneously as I was being told that our speeds are fully functioning, and the problem must be user error.
Mind you, all of my devices are top of the line, I'm an IT professional with extensive knowledge on hardware, software, server access, and so on. My point is not to say that I know better than they do, but to highlight that I'm not just an angry consumer, using a 10 year old machine with no knowledge of potential issues that could be disrupting my service.
Which is why it is very insulting when a trouble shooting representative asks me "well have you paid your bill?Maybe that's why you don't have service." or "Have you tried turning your computer off then back on?"
More Review Details
|Product or Service Quality|
|Diversity of Products or Services|
|Exchange, Refund and Cancellation Policy|
- Reason of review:
- All of the above
- Preferred solution:
- Hope and pray for an alternative to Centurytel becomes available.
- Product or service
- Centurylink Internet
- Review category
You May Also Like
- "for several months I have been requesting and receiving resets back to our subscribed speed of 3.0 and I'm always told that if the problem persists we'll have to dispatch..."
- "All they had to do is install a DISH dish, disconnect the Directv dish and connect the cable to the new dish. Instead they drilled holes, ran cables, cut cables,..."
- "I agree 100% HGTV is for the rich does not represent the average or the poor of the USA. I'm 90 years old have written called begged HGTV to help..."
- "Sent flowers for my life long friend's fathers funeral and I was totally embarrassed by what was sent. The flowers received looked like something I would send to my Mom..."
- "I hired this "company" to remove leaves from my yard. When they arrived they told me that they were not going to do my back yard because all the leaves..."
- "Drove up to the drive thru after work at 12:30am and this is what I find...are you kidding me? Then some ghetto dude in the parking lot says "heyyyyy girl"...."
- " All Reviews Telecommunications Fox News 48 of 272 reviews Fox News The Kelly File Tv Show Review from Helotes, Texas ISSUE NOT RESOLVED Helotes, Texas Oct 19 ..."
- "Calling every week this is the 10th time. Told me couple time i will still get my number i want to get call back press blaah blaah no one haven't..."
- "I bought a couch from the Gardner White on Hall Road on Friday, October 21st. I scheduled a 4pm-11pm delivery for today, October 25th, since it was the earliest they..."