Sadly, we are in an area (rural NW Missouri) that has zero options or alternatives to Internet and phone service.Our service constantly delivers slower speeds than what we have purchased.
When I say constantly, I mean constantly in the literal sense. We have never received the speeds for which we are charged. Additionally, service is interrupted every single day... and the majority of the time, it is several times a day (up to 20 to 30 times a day in extreme cases.) Several times a month (2 to 3 on the average) our service is completely inaccessible for hours to days.
We actually tracked it one month, and we had collective use of service for only 22 days out of 31, and this was a fairly good month. Ironically, they have never once failed to charge us with a complete billing cycle of service. Since they are the only provider available, they have zero incentive to fix the failing infrastructure. We were actually told this by a local representative.
To paraphrase her, she said "the infrastructure they use in this area was purchased by Centurytel. It's grossly outdated and completely crumbling. To replace, upgrade and repair it would be too costly, and since we're the only provider, they have no incentive to do so." So, when the next outage happened, and we again called to report the outage, I brought this up to the representative, who in turn.. reported what the local employee had told us.
The next time we spoke with that employee.. she informed us that she had been reprimanded and threatened that if she ever informs customers of why our service is nearly unusable, she will be immediately fired. As anyone who uses Centurylink already knows, a simple Google search will show you how widespread, egregious and predatory the Centurylink business model is to consumers. Avoid at all costs.
The screenshot is a basic speed test conducted simultaneously as I was being told that our speeds are fully functioning, and the problem must be user error.
Mind you, all of my devices are top of the line, I'm an IT professional with extensive knowledge on hardware, software, server access, and so on. My point is not to say that I know better than they do, but to highlight that I'm not just an angry consumer, using a 10 year old machine with no knowledge of potential issues that could be disrupting my service.
Which is why it is very insulting when a trouble shooting representative asks me "well have you paid your bill?Maybe that's why you don't have service." or "Have you tried turning your computer off then back on?"
More Review Details
|Exchange, Refund and Cancellation Policy|
|Product or Service Quality|
|Diversity of Products or Services|
- Reason of review:
- All of the above
- Preferred solution:
- Hope and pray for an alternative to Centurytel becomes available.
- Product or service
- Centurylink Internet
- Review category
You May Also Like
- "Anonymous less than a minute ago I have graciously allowed Century Link to dig a very deep hole in my front lawn, where they indeed found a rotting linkage of cables...."
- "I returned a modem to Centurylink via UPS on the day I received it without every using the service. I mistaken assumed that when I returned the equipment they..."
- "I pay about $100 per month to get 75mbs down / 35mbs up speeds from Verizon FIOS. They don't deliver what they say they will.This tool is what Verizon..."
- "Had my carpets cleaned. Nothing major...just my husband cleaned them w our home cleaner unit an left some residue on the carpet so I just wanted a professional to fix..."
- "I AM A STAR PROJECT delivered exactly what our expectations were. My daughter ended up working with different Stars from Disney and Nickelodeon Shows, in Miami they had Andrew Gray..."
- "Ordered a nikon m-223 scope for $129, got email confirmation, card charged, then they cancelled my order. Got two people on customer service. One tried to sell me another scope..."
- "I paid 317.99$ for 2 tickets on Online City Tickets. Finally the real value for each ticket was 52.75$ per ticket. I paid more than 200$ more that it actually..."
- "I stopped in for my regular 3000 mile oil change and of course they did the usually upsale. Normally I try to do one additional thing each time, this time..."
- "I have shown these pictures to Oak Grove rental office I have also had the office send these pictures to Morgan Properties also so that this problem can be handled...."