CenturyLink - Century link lies in ads and lies on the phone

Jan 27, 2012
review #292478

CenturyLink seems to have a pattern is false/misleading advertising and fraudulent billing. I have personally had 3 different problems with them.

I recently responded to an advertisement offering high speed internet for "$19.95" per month "when you bundle". I already have phone and internet "bundled" with them. When I called, I was told that the only was to get the $19.95 price was if I changed to the absolutely most expensive phone service that they offered which would have raised total well above the current, non-promotion price.

I then spoke to them about changing to the higher speed without changing the phone price. I was eventually offered a 12-month price of approximately $58.50 (including phone, internet and all associated taxes and fees). I asked repeatedly for that total (I probably asked the operator 5 times) and was given that number.

I received an order confirmation in the mail that did not have any prices on it. A few weeks later, I received a bill and buried on page 3 of 6 was a note that part of the special prices was only good for 4 months. No one has ever mentioned "4 months" in the phone conversation.

This is actually the second time that Qwest/CenturyLink has done this to me. The last time I changed the interent service, they quoted me one price on the phone and billed me for twice that.

aa82793
Had an experience with CenturyLink?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
Sonnets

Jul 25 Olympia, Washington

I am trying to resolve this with Century Link. I held the line for the 58.50 deal also. When it was set up (I ported my phone #) I didn't have service due to inoperable century Link equipment. Seems like the installer could have picked this up. When I called after receiving 138.41 bill for the first month service (while I was waiting for the repair) I was told I should pay the whole bill, but not given an exact amt. I owed, because the rep couldn't see all the changes that had been entered. I was initially told the activation fee would be given a $30 credit, so I expected a few extra dollars in charges. A week or so after service was established I go a cancellation notice! I finally got time to call (it has taken a half hour each time to get something done) I found out it HAD been cancelled. Since I mainly use my cell, I hadn't realized. I mainly wanted phone service, and kept my internet with Comcast though I am paying for internet. Anyway, I will see what happens. Did they finally do the right thing for you?

Matt

Dec 01, 2013

I hate how they have this big thing advertising $19.95 a month for internet, but after you get the required bundle, its like $60+ a month. Thats like saying "You can have a brand new car for $1000, but you must buy gas from us at $29/gal"

Trav

May 25, 2013

Yeah, Century link says 19.95 and up to 40mbps....***...in my "area" its 20mbps tops, and the price is 29.95 so *** this false advertising ***.

Mad Consumer

May 18, 2012

From: Wicker, Emily [mailto:Emily.Wicker@CenturyLink.com]
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2012 3:35 PM
To: '#######'
Subject: Core Connect Pricing

Hello #######,
Per our conversation on 5/14/12, I can get you a phone line with unlimited long distance and free calling features, 5mg internet speed and protection on your computer and you line for $80.95 plus tax. Whenever you’re ready to get this set up, let me know and I will get with you to get you going!

Emily Wicker
CenturyLink
Sales and Care Representative
Phone: 800-786-6272
Voicemail: 866-841-9573
Fax: 866-867-2205

ONCE WE HAD THE SERVICE INSTALLED, IT WAS ONLY 1.5 MBPS (NOT 5 AS PROMISED ABOVE). I CALLED FOR TECH SUPPORT TO GET THE ISSUE RESOLVED AND THEY SAID THAT THERE IS NO POSSIBLE WAY TO GET 5 MBPS TO US AND THAT WHAT WE ARE PAYING IS FOR 3 MBPS NOT 5. THE SALES REP LIED TO US TO GET US TO SIGN UP WITH THEM (WE WERE SHOPPING AROUND FOR THE BEST DEAL). WE WERE CLEARLY LIED TO BY THE SALES REP TO GET OUR BUSINESS, THEN WHEN WE DISCOVERED WE HAD BEEN SCREWED, WE WERE LIED TO SOME MORE BY OTHER CENTURYLINK EMPLOYEES.

ONLY IN AMERICA.

The New Age of Sales, apparent

Feb 08, 2012

I would like to politely ask management of Century Link (and all companies for that matter)to stop encouraging your sales reps to lie in order to sell product. I was lied to today. Told a price of $14.95 for high speed internet, which I would have never gotten. I called back to verify things and fortunately I got a very nice gentleman on the line who told me that basically I was 'misled.' Fortunately I was able to cancel without all the hastle since it was only a few minutes later. But, seriously, seems sales reps are so desperate to make a sale they will say anything. My guess is they are encouraged to do so, and they probably don't make hardly any money if they don't make that sale, but sales can be done without deception. I remember not so long ago when you got into something like this you were transferred to a 3rd party who would read all the details to you to ensure you knew what you were getting into. I guess whatever law or courtesy decisions existed to allow for that kind of disclosure has gone by the wayside. Sad world we live in...well, I guess you should only do things in person when possible so you can see it in writing yourself.

146378

Feb 02, 2012 Dagupan, Cagayan

Hey there, this is B with the CenturyLink Help Team. I'm sorry to hear that you've had a bad experience with us, which sounds like more than once. If I can help with this further, please e-mail me at TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com, and I'll be happy to help however I can.

Thanks,
B
CenturyLink Help Team

0 0 Reply

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about CenturyLink.
Filing a new complaint about
×